The Georgia High School Football Hall of Fame recently unveiled its second class, shining a spotlight on a host of former Bulldogs who have left their mark on the sport. Georgia High School Football Hall of Fame Inductees.
This year, 40 members have been selected for this honor, with over half of them – 22, to be exact – having played for Georgia at the collegiate level. The list of honorees features some standout names, including linebacker Jarvis Jones and quarterback DJ Shockley.
Mike Bobo, current offensive coordinator for Georgia, is also among the selectees. Bobo’s journey in football began at Thomasville High School and led him to a quarterback position for the Bulldogs.
DJ Shockley is another name on the list that Georgia fans will surely recognize. Before making waves at Georgia, Shockley played at North Clayton High School. His leadership and talent culminated in leading the Bulldogs to victory in the 2005 SEC Championship.
The list wouldn’t be complete without the mention of Jarvis Jones. Jones, who played at Carver-Columbus High School under the tutelage of current Georgia running backs coach Dell McGee, initially started his college career at USC. However, he ultimately found his way back to Georgia. During his time as a Bulldog, Jones etched his name in the record books by setting the single-season sack record. After his playing days, Jones remained involved with the program, working as a graduate assistant.
This second class follows the inaugural class, which consisted of 36 members, 15 of whom had ties to Georgia. The Georgia High School Football Hall of Fame continues to honor those who have made significant contributions to the sport at the high school and collegiate levels.
Georgia High School Football Hall of Fame Inductees of The Year
Here’s a comprehensive lineup of this year’s inductees into the Georgia High School Football Hall of Fame, classified by the decade of their notable achievements:
- Vernon “Catfish” Smith, Lanier-Macon (1927)
- Bill Hartman, Georgia Military Prep (1933)
- Billy Henderson, Lanier-Macon (1945)
Inductees from 1948-1959
- Pepper Rodgers, Brown (1949)
- Billy Lothridge, Gainesville (159)
- Ernie Green, Spencer (1957)
- Julius Adams, Ballard-Hudson (1965)
Inductees from 1960s
- Dan Reeves, Americus (1960)
- Bruce Bennett, Valdosta (1961)
- Buzy Rosenberg, Northside-Atlanta (1968)
Inductees from 1970s
- Ray Goff, Moultrie (1972)
- Anthony Flanagan, Southwest Atlanta (1973)
- Lucius Sanford, West Fulton (1973)
- Eddie Lee Ivery, Thomason (1974)
- Ray Donaldson, East Rome (1975)
- Mackel Harris, Americus (1975)
- Scott Woerner, Jonesboro (1976)
- Guy McIntyre, Thomasville (1978)
Inductees from 1980s
- Pat Swilling, Stephens County (1981)
- John Davis, Gilmer (1982)
- Keith Henderson, Cartersville (1984)
- Ken Swilling, Stephens County (1987)
Inductees from 1990s
- Al Pickins, Mitchell-Baker (1990)
- Randall Godfrey, Lowndes (1991)
- Adam Meadows, McEachern (1991)
- Jeff Saturday, Shamrock (1992)
- Mike Bobo, Thomasville (1992)
- Marcus Stroud, Brooks County (1994)
- Quincy Carter, Southwest DeKalb (1995)
- Jeff Backus, Norcross (1995)
- Deon Grant, Josey (1995)
- Jamal Lewis, Douglass (1996)
- Jon Stinchcomb, Parkview (1997)
- Charles Grant, Miller County (1997)
- Reggie Brown, Carrollton (1998)
- Ronnie Brown, Cartersville (1999)
Inductees from 2000s
- D.J. Shockley, North Clayton (2000)
- Charles Johnson, Hawkinsville (2003)
- Rennie Curran, Brookwood (2006)
- Jarvis Jones, Carver-Columbus (2008)
Warmest congratulations to all the inductees for their extraordinary contributions to the field of high school football in Georgia!