Top 10 Kentucky Class 3A High School Football Teams for 2023. Get ready for an exciting football season in Kentucky’s high schools, as the anticipation builds around the new realignment that’s based on school enrollment by the Kentucky High School Athletic Association. This shift has sparked curiosity, particularly for the teams competing in Class 3A’s District 2.
One standout matchup to look forward to is between the reigning 3A champion, Christian Academy-Louisville, and Central, a former Class 4A multi-state champion dropping down to 3A. Elizabethtown, who reached the 3A state finals in 2020, and LaRue County are also in the mix, making this district a must-watch.
Here’s a sneak peek at the top 10 Class 3A teams for the upcoming season, as voted by the division’s coaches:
Christian Academy-Louisville (CAL)
- Coach: Hunter Cantwell (fifth season)
- Last Year: 15-0, State champions
- Key Player: Senior QB Cole Hodge
- Quick Look: CAL’s powerhouse team is set to defend its championship title with senior QB Cole Hodge leading the charge. Hodge threw for nearly 3,000 yards and 48 touchdowns last year, while also making an impact on the ground. Keep an eye on his brother, Connor, as well as Justin Ruffin, who are both strong receiving options. With standout players like Nathan Carlisle returning from injury, CAL is ready to maintain their winning streak.
- Coach: Marvin Dantzler (eighth season)
- Last Year: 9-5, District and region champions
- Key Players: Senior RB Cortez Stone, WR Amontez Woolfork
- Quick Look: Louisville’s Central High School is making waves by dropping to Class 3A. They’ve got a strong team led by senior running back Cortez Stone, who rushed for over 2,000 yards and scored 26 touchdowns. Wide receiver Amontez Woolfork is another player to watch for his impressive stats. On defense, players like Avaion Johnson and Javion Wallace are sure to make an impact.
- Coach: Nick Baisch (first season)
- Last Year: 10-3, District champions
- Key Players: Senior QB Jackson Wasik, Senior OL Joe Schlarman
- Quick Look: Lexington Catholic is entering the season with an experienced offensive line, anchored by senior Joe Schlarman. Quarterback Jackson Wasik has shown his skills with nearly 3,000 passing yards and 41 touchdowns last year. The team’s strong comeback against a top opponent last season proves their potential to make a mark this year.
- Coach: Philip Haywood (40th season)
- Last Year: 6-6
- Key Players: RB Caden Woolum, RB Dre Young, QB Chase Varney
- Quick Look: Belfry, led by the experienced coach Philip Haywood, is determined to bounce back after a challenging season. The team’s offensive backfield is a force to be reckoned with, including Caden Woolum, Dre Young, and Ace Caudill. Quarterback Chase Varney’s skills are expected to shine this year. The Pirates are set to overcome adversity and return to their winning ways.
- Coach: Dudley Hilton (23rd season)
- Last Year: 10-3, District champions
- Key Players: RB Daniel Thomas, QB Blake Burnett
- Quick Look: Bell County boasts a strong offensive line and a standout running back in Daniel Thomas. Thomas, who dominated the state in yards from scrimmage, is a key player to watch. Quarterback Blake Burnett also brings his skills to the table, contributing to both passing and running game. With a solid defensive lineup, Bell County is ready to make its mark.
- Coach: Chad Griffin (eighth season)
- Last Year: 9-3
- Key Players: RBs Joshua Dan Crump, Clark Rexroat, TE/LB Jaxson Shoulders
- Quick Look: Hart County’s balanced team is poised for success with a strong offensive lineup led by running backs Joshua Dan Crump and Clark Rexroat. Tight end and linebacker Jaxson Shoulders stands out as a versatile player who contributes both in receiving and tackling. With a wealth of returning starters on both sides of the ball, Hart County is gearing up for an impressive season.
- Coach: Alfredo Silva (interim head coach, first season)
- Last Year: 8-4
- Key Player: RB Trey Durbin
- Quick Look: Elizabethtown’s new head coach, Alfredo Silva, is looking to guide his team to success. Senior running back Trey Durbin, a dual-threat player, is expected to lead the offense both in rushing and receiving. Despite a relatively young offensive line, Elizabethtown is determined to show progress as the season unfolds.
- Coach: Derek Johns (eighth season)
- Last Year: 12-1, District champions
- Key Players: DT Amare Black, LB William McPeake
- Quick Look: Union County is banking on its running game and depth this season. While they’ve lost key offensive players from the previous year, their running game remains strong. Defensive tackle Amare Black and linebacker William McPeake anchor the defense, ensuring a well-rounded team effort. With a deep roster, Union County is ready to face challenges head-on.
- Coach: Alan Short II (eighth season)
- Last Year: 9-3, District champions
- Key Players: QB Talan Pollock, RB Cody Crum
- Quick Look: Lawrence County is gearing up for another successful season, returning with key players like quarterback Talan Pollock and running back Cody Crum. Despite some changes on the roster, the Bulldogs are confident in their ability to maintain their district championship status. A new turf field adds to the excitement as Lawrence County aims for another strong campaign.
- Coach: Jeff Garmon (eighth season)
- Last Year: 6-5
- Key Players: QB Easton Jessie, WR Rico Crowder
- Quick Look: Glasgow is embracing its strong senior-led offensive and defensive lines, which are complemented by skill players who showed promise last year. Junior quarterback Easton Jessie is a player to watch, both in passing and rushing. Receiver Rico Crowder adds a dynamic element to the team’s offense. With a balanced lineup, Glasgow is determined to improve upon last year’s record.
As the high school football season kicks off, fans across Kentucky can anticipate thrilling matchups and standout performances from these top 10 Class 3A teams. From seasoned champions to rising stars, the competition is fierce, and each team is prepared to leave their mark on the field. Get ready for a season full of exciting football action!